Call us 24/7, we can help - (407) 823-1200

Facebook Twitter

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have an affiliated Registered Student Organization?

Yes! Knight Advocates is a pre-professional organization for exploring different careers in the field of advocacy. Please contact or find Knight Advocates UCF on Facebook for more information.

Do I have to report to the police if I come to Victim Services?

No. We provide options and support based on your individual situation and needs.

Are your services free?

Yes. We provide all services free of charge. 

Will you protect my confidentiality?

Yes, with limited exceptions. Under Florida law, we must report to authorities if:

  • A client discloses he/she is a minor (under 18)
  • A judge subpoenas the program to release information to the court
  • A client expresses homicidal or suicidal intent
  • We receive knowledge that a minor (under 18), elder, or person with an intellectual disability is at risk for abuse

Our records are securely maintained separately from other UCF records and transcripts. Your professors, friends, and family will not be informed about what you tell us unless you have specifically identified individuals with whom the advocate can discuss your situation by signing a Release of Information.

Does Victim Services provide mental health counseling?

No. We provide emotional support, crisis intervention, and practical assistance. For mental health counseling needs, please call UCF Counseling and Psychological Services at (407) 823-2811 or ask an advocate for a referral to a community organization.

Are there internship/volunteer opportunities with UCF Victim Services?

Yes. Our intern application process occurs in March/April to place interns for the following school year. Please refer to the “Volunteer” tab for more information.

How do I contact Victim Services if I have been impacted by crime, violence, or abuse?

Please call our 24/7 hotline at (407) 823-1200 to speak with an advocate.

Where is your office?

Our main office is located just off campus in Research Park at the intersection of Research Parkway and Technology Drive (12201 Research Parkway, Suite 450, Orlando, FL 32826). We are in the University Tower/College of Nursing Building on the 4th floor.

Our on-campus outreach office is located in the John T. Washington Center, Suite 108 (across from the bookstore).

What should I do if someone sexually assaulted me?

Call our 24/7 hotline at (407) 823-1200 to speak with an advocate and learn your options. If you or someone you know is in immediate danger or has serious injuries, please call 911. You can learn more by visiting the “Need Help” tab.

One of my students gave me a letter of support from UCF Victim Services. How should I respond?

A student experiencing academic difficulty due to victimization often does not know how to present the situation to a professor. Our letter serves to initiate a conversation between you and the student, as well as validate the student’s story. We encourage professors to listen thoughtfully and consider extending academic consideration to students in these situations.

For more information on assisting students in crisis and how victimization can affect academic performance, please visit the “How to Help” tab.

What is the role of an advocate?

We provide emotional support, options, practical assistance, advocacy, and education to anyone impacted by crime, violence, or abuse. Advocates will explain your options, assist you in whatever choices you make, and connect you to appropriate campus and community resources.

What types of services do you provide?
  • Crisis intervention
  • Emotional support
  • Safety planning
  • Reporting options
  • Information and referrals
  • Accompaniment through medical/legal/administrative processes
  • Assistance in filing crimes compensation forms
  • Prevention/awareness education
What are some examples of victimization, crime, violence, and abuse?
  • Sexual assault/sexual battery/rape
  • Dating/domestic/relationship violence and abuse
  • Stalking/technology-assisted stalking (cyberstalking)
  • Sexual harassment
  • Harassment
  • Hate crimes
  • Assault and battery
  • Robbery
  • Identity theft
Are services available only to students?

Our services are available to all members of the UCF community, including UCF students, faculty, staff, visitors to campus, and other students who reside in affiliated housing.

If I am an international student, non-traditional student, or member of another student subpopulation, can I receive services?

Yes. We provide assistance to all currently enrolled UCF students. Advocates do not discriminate on the basis of age, citizenship, ethnicity, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.

If I identify as a member of the LGBTQ+ community and/or if I'm in a same-gender relationship, can I receive services?

Yes. Our program is a safe place, and all advocates have received UCF Safe Zone Advocate training.


If my victimization occurred in the past, can an advocate still help me?

Yes. We provide services related to both present and past victimizations.

I think I am in an abusive relationship. How can an advocate help?

Advocates provide options, support, and safety planning at any stage of your relationship, whether you choose to stay or leave. We will talk with you about the differences between healthy and abusive relationships. In many situations, physical abuse may not have occurred but other forms of abuse are happening, such as emotional, financial, or sexual abuse.

I missed an assignment/class due to victimization. Can an advocate help me?

Yes. Advocates can provide assistance with requesting accommodations from professors to help ensure a successful academic term.

Is an advocate available on nights and weekends?

Yes, advocates are available 24/7 by calling (407) 823-1200.

Can an advocate help if I was victimized off campus?

Yes. Advocates provide services to all UCF community members, regardless of the location of the victimization.

Someone is bothering me, but I don’t want to get an injunction for protection (restraining order). Can an advocate help?

Yes. Seeking an injunction is only one option of many. Advocates will explain all your options and help support you in whatever choices you make.

Someone I know is being victimized, and it’s affecting me. Can an advocate help?

Yes. It is normal to be affected by actual or threatened violence, even if you are not the direct target. Advocates will give you the options available on campus and in the community.

I have a friend who was victimized. Can I bring them to see an advocate?

Yes. It is okay if your friend wants you to come with him/her to Victim Services. Advocates can also provide information and guidance on ways to help your friend if he/she does not want to meet with an advocate.

What is UCF's policy on dating/domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking?

These actions are expressly prohibited by UCF. More information is available in the UCF Golden Rule Student Handbook.